DIY Green Tea Beauty

Because my good friend Emily finally launched her tea blog, Days of Milk & Honey,  I thought I would do an entry dedicated to my favorite tea -- matcha (or green tea!).

Okay so I drink EXCESSIVE amounts of tea.  Probably 3-4 cups a day.  I know green tea is packed with antioxidants and all but I dunno if that's considered caffeine overload?

I was really disappointed with this box of Bigelow Organic Green Tea I bought from Target (I know, what did I expect from Target?).  It left a weird oily film on the top of my tea and it didn't even taste like green tea!  So I was on a mission to find a REAL green tea.  And then I stumbled across Touch Organic Teas.  I guess when it comes to tea, "made in China" is a good thing haha -- tastes like the yummy stuff you get at sushi restaurants.  So yummy in fact, that I bought the 100-pack cube and finished it in a month!


And green tea has got to be the awesomest flavor ever invented.  I mean who doesn't love green tea ice cream or mochi?  The Japanese have definitely gone green tea crazy from kit kats to coke to McDonald's Mcflurries.


And the U.S is slowly catching on with Starbuck's Green Tea Frappes, Green Tea vitamin water, and my personal favorite soda -- Canada Dry's Green Tea Ginger ale.


Anyways I'm getting off the subject and I could go on for days about different green tea products lol.  I know I JUST talked about facial mist in a previous post but I had to do another quick screen shot of a scene in the Korean drama Athena: Goddess of War -- because there's BoA with the facial mist!


Which leads to today's DIY -- green tea facial mist!  As much as I love facial mist I can't help but feel somewhat wasteful when I spray expensive product all over my face through out the day.  I've seen other recipes for just putting a cup of green or peppermint tea in a spray bottle but to me that just feels like water and doesn't offer any moisturizing properties.  So Emily and I did a bit of tweaking and experimenting and came up with this:

What you'll need
1 green tea bag or loose tea leaves
1/2 cup boiling water
1/4 cup Rose Water (available at Wholefoods or you can make your own by following these instructions)
Vitamin E Oil
Mini Spray Bottle -- you can pick up a cheap one at Walmart or CVS.  I like to save my old Shu Uemura bottles and pretend I'm still using an expensive mist lol!

1) Steep the tea in 1/2 cup boiling water.  Although most recipes call for just the usual strength tea I like to make mine extra strong for extra antioxidants!
2) Let the tea cool to room temperature.
3) Add the rose water.  Rose water helps keep skin moisturized, fresh, and balances the pH.
4) Add a couple drops of Vitamin E Oil.   Vitamin E Oil acts as an antioxidant which prevents the formation of free radicals on the skin and also has anti-inflammatory properties. In addition it prevents water loss from the skin and helps to retain its natural moisture.
5) Pour into spray bottle.  Keep it in the fridge or carry it around in your purse!
6) Spray as needed for a refreshing mist!

Optional Ingredients
Olive Oil
Tea Tree Oil
Apple Cider Vinegar
Lavender Water

I'll be jumping on the plane in a few hours and will definitely take this with me to keep my skin hydrated in the air!

Deal of the Day

Those of you who've ever been to a Big Lots know of the AMAZING prices they have on beauty products!  I would say it's somewhere between Dollar Tree and Walmart with most makeup and beauty supplies about 50% off.  Well this week only enjoy an ADDITIONAL 20% off.  You can bet I'll be doing a Big Lots haul soon!  Ends Sun, Jan 30.  Print the coupon here.

21 comments:

prettyinthedesert said...

Great recipe! I don't spritzes either because I feel like I'm wasting money, too! I'm going to have to try this out. Love getting as many antioxidants as possible! :)

siwing said...

Ooh I love this post !!! Love green tea !! I did not know they made green tea Mc flurry !! So cool !! Hehe where can I get rose water ?

Kelly@lipglossloveaffair.com said...

Siwing -- oops thanks for reminding me -- I was going to post a link for the Rosewater. I got mine at a local Arabic grocery store but it is also available at Whole Foods. If you want to make your own, there are instructions here: http://www.ehow.com/how_2123201_make-rosewater.html

yourstrulypam said...

My sister loves green tea too. She always tells me how wonderful and good it is for your body. I'm pretty picky when it comes to drinks and food so I'm not a big fan of green tea but I think I will have to try it now because of all the positive things people have said about green tea.

Life of a girl called hawaiianpunchelsea said...

I absoluety love your DIY posts. This is something I am going to try making tonight.

mumuji said...

I love green tea also! OMG green tea icecream! Usually one tea bag of green tea lasts me the whole day because I just keep topping it with water lol!

xoladiihoneyxo said...

oh em gee, I love green tea also! Ito En def. is one of the best green teas out there. It's number one in Japan =] I think the only flavor mochi I like are the green tea ones. hehe.

makeupbykatie said...

I had no idea that there were green tea mcflurries!?

Michelle said...

The "Made in China" bit and the bit about the Shu Uemura bottle made me laugh on the inside. I love the way you write! :)

kaybee89 said...

omg i want one of those green tea kit kat bars right about now!

kaybee89 said...

omg i want one of those green tea kit kat bars right about now!

Supergirl said...

Great post, thanks:)

Jennifer Leigh said...

Love this post! I love green tea fraps at Starbucks! And those green tea ginger ales are pretty good too. I love green tea in general.

Thanks so much for the mist recipe--I'm definitely going to give this a try.

Anonymous said...

i too am a tea addict. i'm a big fan of Tulsi teas from India

~AK

LilyLipstick said...

I love green tea. It's the only type of tea I drink! The face mist sounds great. x

LilyLipstick said...

I love green tea. It's the only type of tea I drink! The face mist sounds great. x

LilyLipstick said...

I love green tea. It's the only type of tea I drink! The face mist sounds great. x

Fashion said...

I drink green tea too. Black tea has a lot more caffeine so it's worse.

Fashion said...

Is this facial mist anti aging?

MSodapop said...

thanks for the post! i love this! i need to try this. :D

G A B Y said...

Green tea is yummy! I try to have at least a cup a day, as I'm so addicted to coffee. I'm currently burning a green tea scented candle in my room, funny hehe!