How To Make Cheater Red Velvet Cupcakes




Just a quick baking post today.  My parents have lived in their Virginia home for about 10 years.  When we first moved in I was surprised at how "neighborly" the neighbors were.  They would bring over plants and baked goods, come over with their little boy to rake leaves in the fall, and help us plow the snow off our driveway in the winter.

Well they recently left a note in our mailbox inviting us to their farewell party because they're moving to London.  Sadly over these years I've never made an attempt to get to know them -- other than the occasional wave whenever I drive by -- I don't even know their names!  I don't feel comfortable enough to attend their gathering but decided I would at least drop off some cupcakes and wish them farewell.

So I LOVE Red Velvet cupcakes.  The ironic thing is I HATE chocolate but there's something so perfectly UN-chocolate about these cakes.  Living in both DC and Vegas, both abundant with cupcakeries, I've tried dozens and dozens of different red velvet cupcakes, as well as attempted many many different recipes.

So here's my little secret -- the BEST cupcakes I've ever made actually came from a BOX.  Every time I make these people RAVE about them and ask for the recipe.  And those of you who have made red velvet cakes from scratch know just how expensive the ingredients are!  Just the two required bottles of red food coloring end up being $6-$8.  And what's with the insane cost of butter these days?  Well with a little doctoring, you can get "home made" red velvet cupcakes that are also easy on your wallet!

What you need:


Red Velvet Cupcakes
1 Box Red Velvet Cake Mix
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 canister of vanilla or cream cheese frosting
1/2 package of cream cheese (4 oz)

So the trick here is to substitute the buttermilk for the water in the box mix -- this will make for a richer cupcake.  Also by adding half a pack of cream cheese to the canned frosting you get a creamier, gooier frosting.  That's it!  And you wouldn't believe the amazing difference these little tweaks make!


First prepare the frosting:

Place 1/2 package of cream cheese and entire can of frosting into a bowl.
 Mix until smooth, cover, and place bowl in refrigerator to chill.

Now on to the cupcakes!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Pour cake mix, oil, and eggs in a mixing bowl.

Add the buttermilk.

Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.

Pour batter into lined cupcake tins.

Bake for about 20 minutes.

For mini cupcakes bake for about 15 minutes.

My batter yielded 24 regular cupcakes and 24 mini cupcakes!

Frost, sprinkle, and serve!


Total cost?  About $6!  And they taste AMAZING!

Check out Honeybee Housewife's DIY Sprinkles to create custom colors and designs, or just expand your collection for less money!

14 comments:

Arianne Cruz said...

that looks amazing! i love baking and baked goods

MissBrittanyBoo said...

Those look sooooo good! You are so right about the number of cupcakeries in the DC area.. and honestly most of them suck! I can make better cupcakes at home, than some of these 'boutiques'. Gotta try this recipe. And YAY! Another DC blogger :) Glad I found you ;)

Pooja_G said...

These look so yummmm! I love cupcakes!

Tanya said...

Ohhh I made Andy red velvet cupcakes for his birthday and I used the box! I made the frosting tho and it was soooooo yummy!!! Can't wait to make it again!

Austin said...

Totally hear you on the butter! like wtf!?!?

Also, this is beyond perfect timing! I have to make a dessert for a potluck at work and these look cheap, simple, easy, AND delicious!!

KaitLin Kat said...

that looks sooooooooooo good!
I'm the type of girl who cant bake to save her life =_=" but this seems easy enough, I'll give it a try! *crosses fingers* hope it'll look & taste good as good as yours! ^_^

KrizzTH said...

Nice!
the cupcakes looks so good

Elisa ♥ said...

wow these are looking lovely :D

Marina said...

We don't have that red velvet mix here :( And now i want this cake sooo much :)

Hollie said...

Yummy looking cupcakes! I'm sure they taste great!

fidyabeauty.com said...

Carinissimi!

kdao33 said...

nothing wrong with using the box! i actually prefer that red velvet verses the ones you buy at stores already made.

Sweets said...

Using the box is the only way i roll <3 Lol
Yupp. I wouldn't feel comfortable going to their gathering so you did the Sweets way to do things, drop of some sweet goodies (:

Ninna Berries said...

Love cupcakes!! I'll try to make this recipe and I hope great results! If I have some question about cupcakes, Can I ask you? Thanks a lot!